Job Title: Teaching Assistant
Closing Date: 12th July 2022
Start Date: ASAP Hours of work: Variable hours initially for 30 hrs per week, 39 working weeks per year (includes CPD days) plus holidays (45.248 paid weeks) Salary : £13,896 per annum (£10.24 per hr)
As the exclusive recruitment partner of the Cornwall Association of Primary Heads Opus are currently working with a highly successful Academy Trust School that lies in the heart of Cornwall, providing high quality education and support for pupils age 11-16 with complex learning difficulties and disabilities.
We are seeking to appoint a self-motivated, caring and dedicated Teaching Assistant. As a key member of staff you will take a pro-active role in the support of the educational and physical needs of the pupils with a focus on an individual’s support
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
· Hold and articulate clear values and moral purpose, focused on supporting pupils.
· Demonstrate optimistic personal behaviour, positive relationships and attitudes towards pupils with profound, severe and complex learning needs, the workforce, and towards parents, governors and local community.
· Lead by example - with integrity, creativity, resilience, and clarity
· Sustain knowledge and understanding of education and school systems locally and pursue continuous professional development.
· Assist children in developing knowledge, skills and attitudes as defined by the curriculum, taking into account the learning support involved to aid the children to learn effectively
· Establish supportive relationships with pupils, encouraging individual development, acceptance, social integration, and development of self-esteem
· Carry out administration in relation to pupil progress, monitoring health, behaviour and general wellbeing and feeding back or adapting as appropriate
· Effectively use IT systems as required by the school
· Work independently with groups of children on specific tasks, under the overall responsibility of the Teacher
· Contribute to meetings with parents (which may be held outside of school hours), providing constructive feedback on pupil progress, achievement and behaviour where relevant
· Maintain confidentiality in regards to sensitive issues linked to home/pupil/staff/school
· Administer minor first aid where training has been undertaken
· Administer medically prescribed drugs as per the approved procedure
· Assist with the safe physical and medical needs of pupils, including: - personal hygiene/self-care, for example toileting or changing - specialist care, for example one-to-one feeding where training has been undertaken - mobility needs, for example use of wheelchairs or hoists where training has been undertaken - complex medical procedures, for example changing tracheostomy tubes, where training has been undertaken
· Support in the management of pupils with challenging emotional and behavioural difficulties so as to prevent harm and disruption to the pupil or others
· Supervise pupils during break time, and plan and organise play time activities, where required
· Accompany children on educational visits as supervised by senior staff
· Contribute to class meetings, staff meetings and school-based INSET
· Carry out interventions as required
· Raise any concerns in accordance with the school’s safeguarding policies and procedures
· Assist with duties relating to pupil swimming and sports activities/events where relevant
· Deliver therapy to pupils such as physiotherapy or speech and language therapy as guided by professionals where training has been undertaken
· Input into planning of lesson content led by teaching staff where relevant
· Provide pastoral care to pupils where relevant
· Ensure all teaching aids are readily available by monitoring stock levels of materials, checking for missing/damaged equipment, arranging for new supplies to be ordered where relevant
· Assist in preparing, using and maintaining relevant teaching resources, including wall displays and ensuring classrooms are left clean and tidy
All offers of employment are subject to the satisfactory completion of checks and references, including an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. If you have the commitment, energy, initiative and drive to help us meet our core values, then we welcome your application.