As the preferred recruitment partner of the Cornwall Association of Primary Heads and a number of Multi Academy Trusts in Cornwall and Devon we are seeking a School Secretary / School Administrator to start as soon as possible basis in a number of different schools based in Exeter.
Main Purpose of the Role:
To provide administrative and clerical support to the school, and to be the first point of contact with the general public in person and by telephone.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● To be a point of contact for both telephone and face to face enquiries and take messages where appropriate
● To ensure school security procedures are followed, including the issue of visitor’s badges and signing of the visitor’s book ensuring compliance with the Single Central Record and Safeguarding Policies
● To accept and sign for deliveries as appropriate
● To provide hospitality for visitors to the school
● Make up, maintain and distribute dinner registers
● To undertake clerical duties arising from school meals provision
● To be responsible for the preparation and maintenance of the manual and computerised pupil data records.
● To assist with the monitoring and maintenance of stock and order supplies as necessary
● To provide general clerical support as required
● To undertake filing and photocopying as required, including the basic maintenance of the photocopier
● To undertake word processing as required
● Update Parent Mail/or similar
● To administer the school lettings system (if school has one), taking enquiries, setting up contract, liaising with key holders and ensuring that the finance team produce the invoices
● Manage bookings as requested by the teaching staff for school photographs, swimming, coaches for trips etc
● To collect and record all schools monies as required including, trips, swimming, uniform and dinner monies.
● To order and maintain school uniform stocks, liaising and selling to parents as necessary
● To prepare monies for banking and bank weekly or take to the Central Office
● To carry out all financial administration (i.e. ordering and coding of invoices) in accordance with schools policy
● To liaise with parents regarding pupils’ sickness/injury
● To assist with visits from the school nurse, dentist etc
● To assist with the general welfare of pupils
Human Resources/ Safeguarding
● Manage the school’s EP1’s and variations and send all copies to the office
● Ensure that recruitment, appraisal, disciplinary and grievance policies are administered in accordance with employment law
● Complete all pre-employment checks and alert the headteacher to any significant information
● Maintain an up to date single central record and ensure it complies with all relevant legislation
● Where children leave the school, securely transfer their child protection file to their new school as soon as possible, separately from the main pupil file
● Actively seek advice on HR issues, liaising with the external HR provider as required
● To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with Headteacher
● Promote the positive ethos and culture of the school to other staff, governors, parents, children and members of the wider community
● To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with the role, for Health and Safety in the workplace
● Ensure that all duties and services provided are in accordance with the School’s Equal Opportunities Policy
● The Board is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment
● The duties above are neither exclusive non exhaustive and the post holder may be required by the Headteacher to carry out appropriate duties within the context of the job, skills and grade
Hours of work 8:15am-3:30pm Monday to Friday. These are ongoing supply positions likely to lead to permanent employment for the right candidates.
Opus Education Recruitment was created by teachers, for teachers.
Our rates of pay are generous and we pride ourselves on matching people with the perfect role.
All successful applicants will be subject to safeguarding checks and have an enhanced DBS check.
For more information, please subject your CV by email or call our office on 01392322419 and ask to speak to Alex