Opus Education are currently acting on behalf of a longstanding client of ours who are looking to appoint an Assistant Head of School.
Our client is based in Bideford and Barnstable and is a alternative provision working with children where the placement in mainstream system has broken down, with the aim of re-introducing the pupils to schools following there time within the Academy.
The school prides itself on providing pupils with access to high quality education and ensuring they are thoroughly prepared for the next stage of their learning journey.
The academys aim is to work closely with the primary and secondary schools in North Devon and beyond to provide support to the most vulnerable pupils.
The Key Responsibilities are:
- Working in collaboration with the Head of School
- Use of accurate data to support strategies effectively
- Address under performance of groups and individual pupils
- Develop and implement strategies to improve students’ communication, behaviour and academic achievement
- Manage pupil behaviour
- Design and implement policy and practice for Academy target setting, achievement and monitoring
- Ensure all students have an identified baseline level of entry from which to measure progress
- Ensure all pupils have subject specific individual minimum target levels and/or grades which reflect better than expected progress
- Ensure the progress of all pupils towards meeting their minimum target level and/or grade is reported regularly throughout the year
- Ensure parents, pupils and staff are informed of individual, class, subject and cohort progress towards individual targets and whole academy targets
- Ensure subject Leaders are held accountable for levels of progress within their subject area
- Ensure subject leaders are challenged and supported to raise standards of achievement and progress in their subject areas
- Regularly produce reports and analysis to ensure effective monitoring of student progress and outcomes
- Monitor systems, policies and documents to enable the sharing of good practice
- Work with staff, Academy partners and external stakeholders
- Liaise with HR to ensure full staffing at all times
General Senior Leadership Responsibilities:
- Create and foster an environment of reflective practice and CPD
- Lead by example in all aspects of personal and professional development
- Develop and maintain a culture of high expectations for self and others
- Update the Head of School, Executive Principal, other senior leaders and the Governing Body on the effectiveness of the provision.
- Lead by example as a teacher, and as a manager, achieving high standards of pupil attainment and progress, behaviour and motivation through effective teaching.
- Challenge under-performance at all levels and ensure corrective action and follow up
- Support the development and maintenance of Academy policies and practices to ensure consistent application
- Have a teaching commitment in line with Assistant Head of School status
- Plan, chair and organise team meetings as appropriate
- Substantial experience in mainstream/special school;
- Evidence of an ability to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders built on honest and integrity
- Experience of successfully working with children with Social Communication Needs, SEBD;
- Proven record of behaviour management
- Experience of working with disaffected children either in a special or main-stream setting;
- Experience in SEN
Education and training:
- Subject specific experience
- Honours degree in a relevant discipline
This is a real opportunity to make a genuine difference in children and young adults life.
If you would like further information on this role, please apply within and a member of the team will be in touch.